Tim Bray Counselling Ledbury, Herefordshire

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I know if I need counselling/psychotherapy?
    If you are experiencing any of the following it may be worth considering seeing a counsellor or therapist.

    Uncontrollable feeling of sadness, anger or hopelessness – These may be signs of a mental health issue that can improved with help. If you are sleeping or eating more or less than usual, withdrawing from friends and family, or just feeling “off,” discuss it with someone before serious problems emerge. If these feelings are at the point where you question whether life is worth living or cause you to have suicidal thoughts, then it is time to ask for help from your GP or a mental health professional.

    Feeling disconnected from previously beloved activities – If you are avoiding social events and family gatherings it may be an indication that something is amiss. If you’re disenchanted, feeling like there’s not a lot of point or feeling a general sense of unhappiness, seeking professional help could help you regain some clarity or start in a new direction.

    Abusing a substance to cope – When you turn outside yourself to a substance or behavior to help feel better – these could be signs that you’re hoping to numb feelings that should be addressed. That substance could be drugs, alcohol, sex or even food.

    Your friends have told you they’re concerned – Sometimes friends or partners can notice behavioral changes that are difficult to see from the inside, so it’s worth considering the perspectives of those around you. If they are saying anything on the lines of: ‘Are you talking to anybody about this?’ or ‘Are you doing okay? I’m concerned about you’ – these are the signs that something is wrong and you should probably take their advice.

    Something traumatic has happened – Painful events like a bereavement, a relationship breakup or a job loss are always upsetting but for some people the effects may persist. We tend to believe that these feelings are going to go away on their own, which isn’t always the case. Grief from a loss can affect daily functioning and cause you to withdraw from friends. If you notice you aren’t engaging in your life or people around you have noticed that you’re pulling away, it may be helpful to speak to someone to discuss how the event still affects you.

    You are experiencing recurrent physical symptoms – If we are emotionally upset, it can affect our bodies. Stress can express itself in the form of a wide range of health issues, from a chronically upset stomach to headaches, frequent colds or even a diminished sex drive. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms consider talking to a therapist or counsellor.

  • What are my fees and how do you pay?
    I charge £50 per session for a 50 minute session. I do offer some concessionary places so if you will struggle to pay my fee for any reason (Unemployed, low waged or student) then please discuss it with me.

  • When am I available?
    I am available during the week days and some evenings. If you contact me to arrange a meeting please let me know your availability and I will do my best to offer you a time that suits you.

  • What if you have to cancel a session?
    I ask you to give me as much notice as possible if you need to cancel. Cancellations within 24 hrs will be charged for in full. If you can't attend because of ill health or other emergency I will do my best to offer you another time that week.

  • What about holidays?
    I ask you to give me as much notice as possible of any holidays or other absences. I will give you 2 months notice of my own holidays.

  • Can I have counselling online?
    I prefer working face-to-face at least initially but can offer Skype sessions if travelling to see me is a big problem. Please contact me to discuss it.

  • Is counselling confidential?
    Under normal circumstances, nothing you say goes beyond the consulting room unless you want it to, and you say so explicitly.
    I may only pass on information in the following exceptional circumstances:
    1. Where I have your express consent to disclose the information.
    2. Where I believe you, or a third party is in serious danger.
    3. Where I would be liable to civil or criminal court procedure if the information was not disclosed (such as terrorist activity).

    I keep client contact details and any client notes in a locked filing cabinet. I am aware of data protection legislation and endeavour to ensure that client information is kept secure and private at all times. I have monthly supervision with an experienced supervisor and discuss my clients, anonymously, at those meetings. My supervisor is also bound by the BACP Ethical Framework.

  • What if you're not happy with the service that I provide?
    If you are not happy with anything about my work I would ask you to discuss it with me in the first instance. If that is not possible or you are not happy with my response I am a member of the British Association for Counsellors & Psychotherapist (BACP) and they have a Professional Conduct Procedure which you can view here.

    There may be more questions you have about counselling generally and about my work in particular. Please feel free to contact me for an email conversation or quick chat on the phone.

    “It is a joy to be hidden, and disaster not to be found.”
    ― D.W. Winnicott

    Tim Bray, Counsellor for Hereford, Gloucester & Worcester

    Frequently Asked Questions. bridge2

  • click
    ©2019 Tim Bray Counselling is powered by WebHealer
    Website Cookies   Privacy Policy   Admin Login